The first thing you should do is disconnect your Desktop or Laptop from the internet, also make sure your wireless on your Laptop is switch off. This will stop the ransomware from encrypting all of your files.
You can also pull out your AC adapter plug for your network router.
Check to see if all of your files was encrypted.
Please save all of your files that was not encrypted as of yet into a CD, DVD, or USB Flash Drive. (Remember CryptoLocker can not encrypted your files if you not connect to the internet.)
If you do not have System Restore enabled on your computer or reliable backups, then you will need to pay the ransom in order to get your files back. Please note that there have been cases when people have paid the ransom and the decryption did not work for whatever reason. Furthermore, if you do not pay the ransom within the allotted time, the Cryptolocker decryption tool will be removed from your system and make it much more difficult, if not impossible, to restore your files.
Firewall is very important to keep all types viruses and malware from entering into your PC and doing a lot of damage to your computer.
Once you hook up your computer to the World Wide Web your computer becomes vulnerable to any attack that out there.
Now let’s check to see if your firewall is on.
1. Click on start menu.
2. Next click on Control Panel
3. Now you should see this screen popup. 4. Please select Security Center and double click on it.
5. Another screen will popup “Security essentials look like this.
6. Firewall, Automatic Updates and Virus Protection should be on.
6. If your firewall is off, Please click on the Windows Firewall as shown here —->
7. Now please select ” On (recommended) This setting blocks all outside sources from connecting to this computer, with the Exceptions tab. Please see below
8. Now go back to steps 1-3 and make sure all three is on as you see on the Security Center screen above.
If you do notice that your Firewall or your Virus Protection was off, it could be some type of freeware software that you download awhile ago that disable your Firewall, Virus Protection and your Windows Automatic update.
Disable Firewall at Taskbar
Sometime you will see your Firewall disable at your taskbar that is near the time and it will state that “your computer might be at risk”. Please see display below.
How to perform a Disk Defragmenter in Windows XP Please do the following at your own risk!!! Dumb Computer Repair is not responsible for any damage that may occur to you or to your computer. Disk Defragment consolidates fragmented files … Continue reading →